Advanced Manufacturing & Engineering
Advanced Manufacturing and Engineering (AME) is a large and dynamic sector in the Mid & East Antrim economy and one which is a key priority given the highly skilled, high wage profile of the sector.
This is a sector which is now facing new horizons, driven by a multitude of factors. It is growing exponentially, due to technological innovation and evolving customer behaviour, regulatory changes and a turbulent global landscape, requiring businesses to innovate with ever-increasing speed. With the advent of ‘Industry 4.0’, we are positioning ourselves as a global centre of excellence for AME.
We have been successful in locating several new companies to the Borough, including, Alexander Dennis Ltd, who have set up a 30-person satellite facility in Ballymena.
Why Mid & East Antrim?
Mid and East Antrim has a strong asset base in the Advanced Manufacturing and Engineering sector with several global companies based in the area supported by a robust supply chain of smaller SMEs. We enjoy a positive relationship with both Queen’s University, Belfast and Ulster University in relation to research, development and innovation.
Working with companies through the MTF, Mid & East Antrim Borough Council is developing programmes to:
- Enhance productivity by embracing Lean and/or Six Sigma principles and investigating in new ways of working and by investing in capital equipment and automation
- Develop innovative capabilities and capacities
- Invest in upskilling or reskilling employees
- Seek out and establish new partnerships and collaborative working partnerships
- Invest in supply chain digitisation to better connect with customers, suppliers and partners to drive efficiency and
- Identify ways in which to improve energy efficiency.