People & Affordability
Mid and East Antrim benefits from some of the lowest operating costs in the UK, for example:
- Average weekly wage is £485, one of the lowest rates in the UK
- Operating costs average 20%-30% less than the rest of the UK and Europe.
“Every time we open our doors to work every day in Northern Ireland we save half a million dollars, and that is something that we don’t take lightly”. Suren Gupta, Executive Vice President – Technology and Operations, Allstate
The overall tax burden in Northern Ireland is the lowest of all the major European economies with:
- Low personal taxation
- Low social welfare contributions
- Generous tax allowances
- No local taxes on profits or surplus
Investors benefit from a myriad of tax incentives to encourage further development, including:
- Corporation tax (19 per cent) is among the lowest in Europe
- Businesses with fewer than 250 employees can claim a tax deduction of 150 per cent on R&D expenditure.
Double NI Productivity per Employee
In 2019, Mid and East Antrim’s employment rate (16-64) was 74.2%. This was equivalent to 62,000 people employed, 2.3% higher than the Northern Ireland average (71.9%).
We have a highly productive workforce, with work based productivity (GVA) well above the NI average (£71,490 per head vs. £53,304 per head).
Mid and East Antrim has a total population of 139,400 and a young working age population with an average age of 41.